Monday, January 31, 2005

Secret Pals 4

I am participating in Secret Pals 4 and here are answers to questions.


1. Are you a yarn snob (do you prefer high- a nd/natural fibers)? Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand? Or is it all the same to you?

Yes, I do prefer natural fibers and other high end type of yarns. I love handspun and natural fibers for spinning also.

I will however buy novelty type yarns for scarves, felted purses and tote bags, etc.


2. Do you spin? Crochet?

I started learning to spin last April. Bought a spinning wheel and love buying beautiful, dyed rovings and other fibers. In fact.... now I am enjoying working with raw fleeces and dying my own.

I love beautiful dyed rovings to spin with. Also love all the gorgeous varieties of fibers available for carding with wool.


Crochet.... I do some crocheting. Only for edging or for making blankets.


3. Do you have any allergies? (smoke, pets, fibers, perfume, etc.)

I am very allergic to smoke. Allergic to some floral scents also.... such as Gardenia and Magnolia.


4. How long have you been knitting?

I began knitting, crocheting and other needlework when I was 8-9 years old. Could be earlier.... but this is the earliest I recall. I am now in my late 40's.

5. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?

No.... but today I did find a book I wanted and have plans to start a wishlist on Barnes & Noble website.

6. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)

Not too picky. Some florals I can't tolerate due to blending with magnolia and gardenia scents. I love Crabtree and Evelyn products and Bath & Body Works.


7. Do you have a sweet tooth?

Yes..... love dark chocolate.


8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do?

Machine embroidery, machine sewing, porcelain dollmaking, ceramics, spinning, painting, jewely making, decorating.


9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)

Soothing, relaxation type of music.

Yes, my computer can play music through the cd drive.


10. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer?

Pink, purple, blue

Jewel tones, pastels, vibrant colors.

No browns or drab colors for me.

11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?

Married. 4 children..... 2 grown, 2 at home. Grandmother to 2 beautiful little girls. 7 cats, 1 angora bunny.

12. What are your life dreams? (really stretching it here, I know)

To have a successful business where I can spend lots of time with my family.


13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with?

Lorna Laces, Koigu, Noro Kureyon and other Noro yarns, Manos, Opal sock yarns, Cherry Hill, Rowan, Cascade 220..... many more.... too many to list.

Anything handpainted, hand dyed.

Handspun yarns - ones I create or by others

Nice dyed, wool fibers to create my own yarns


14. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?

Anything that is itchy. None of the Acrylic Red Heart yarns and other yarns comparable to this.


15. What is/are your current knitting obsession/s?

Felted knits, socks, lace, shawls

I am wanting to make felted slippers and clogs soon.... I do have these patterns.


16. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?

Felted purses and tote bags. Sweaters, tank tops, socks, mittens, hats, scarves.


17. What are you knitting right now?

Lace shawl, socks, felted purses, scarves. Also working on a sweater that I have created handspun yarn for.


18. What do you think about ponchos?

I don't like them at all. Did not like them years ago either. Would not waste good yarn on making any of these..... even if someone paid or begged me too. I figure it is alot of yarn to waste on a short term trendy item. Would rather invest my yarn spending on other things.


19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles?

Circular. The only exception is double pointed.... which still means knitting circular.


20. Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?

Bamboo and wood

I also love my Denise knitting needles for the variety. I could use more of the plastic cables for this set. I seem to always have a project using the cables that came with the set and could use more for needles that are not in use for new projects.


21. Are you a sock knitter?

Yes. Only have made 5 pairs of socks since I began knitting these last year. Knitting my 6th pair at the moment. 1 pair out these 5 are for a sock exchange, another pair were a gift to my husband. Only made 3 pairs for myself..... so far.


22. How did you learn to knit?

I was watching my grandmother and wanted to learn when I was a little girl. She showed me the basics when were visiting on vacation. I taught myself the rest by reading books my grandmother gave me and on my own through the years to follow.

I also had a babysitter that lived across the street when I was younger, that would help me when I would have some difficulties.


23. How old is your oldest UFO?

Not knitting related...... a latch hook rug, several porcelain dolls.


24. What is your favorite animated character or a favorite animal/bird?

Nemo - favorite animated character

Cats - favorite animal

Angora bunnies - favorite animal


25. What is your favorite holiday?

Christmas


26. Is there anything that you collect?

Angels, anything with cats on it, Boyd's Bears

Yarn and fibers too!!!!! Unique beads for jewelry making.... such as lampwork beads, crystals, etc.

I guess that about sums up a little about myself. This is fun! I can hardly wait to begin gifting my own pal too. Let the fun begin!!!!!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home